[TUHS] Sprite

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Mon May 31 01:46:21 AEST 2004

On Sun, 30 May 2004 09:19:39 -0400
Aharon Robbins <arnold at skeeve.com> wrote:

> > There where several ports: Sun3, Sun4 / SPARC, DECstation, SPUR,
> > Sequent Symmetry at least. Even mixed architecture clusters where
> > supported. See
> > http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/projects/sprite/retrospective.html
> Wasn't the Symmetry a 386 based system?
Yes.

> Could Sprite be "revived" for the modern PC?  Just wondering ...
Most likely no. The Sequent Symmetry machines had only one thing in
common with a PeeCee: The Intel 80386DX chip. Everything else was custom
Sequent architecture.

And by the way: I have hands on experience with a 8 CPU Sequent Symmetry
S27. It cost over 900000 DM (today about 500000 US$) in 1989 and had a
much slower disk and network interface as the Sun 3/260. It was an
overpriced snail.
--

tschüß,
       Jochen