[TUHS] Re: Sad news from IBM...

Peter Jeremy peter.jeremy at alcatel.com.au
Thu Jun 9 15:30:43 AEST 2005

On 2005-Jun-08 23:07:34 -0600, James Falknor <james at peacemax.org> wrote:
>All we need to do is put the word out that TUHS is seeking pre-1991 AIX
>source code and it's bound to surface.

It depends how widely spread the source code was and how may people
still have readable 15 year old backups.  I know I tend to delete old
code after a while and many of my old QIC-150 tapes are no longer
readable.

> If all else fails, I'm sure
>someone has a pre-1991 AIX binary distribution that could be
>disassembled (that is if a binary distribution can be disassembled back
>to a rough source code).

I'd be very surprised if this produces anything useful.  The code will
have been compiled with a reasonable degree of optimisation and won't
have any debugging symbols in it.  It would be reasonably trivial to
turn it into something that a C compiler could understand but making
it look anything like the original is a major undertaking.

--
Peter Jeremy

This email may contain privileged/confidential information. You may not copy or disclose this email to anyone without the written permission of the sender.  If you have received this email in error please kindly delete this message and notify the sender.  Opinions expressed in this email are those of the sender and not necessarily the opinions of the employer.

This email and any attached files should be scanned to detect viruses.  No liability will be accepted by the employer for loss or damage (whether caused by negligence or not) as a result of email transmission.