[TUHS] Solaris 10 source code

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at lemis.com
Sun Jun 19 11:07:38 AEST 2005

On Saturday, 18 June 2005 at 15:35:05 -0700, Bryan Cantrill wrote:

>> Groklaw (http://www.groklaw.net/) has some VERY good discussion of
>> the 'openness' of this code...
>
> Can we please restrict this kind of dogmatic assertion to Groklaw?

And if it has to be discussed here at all, correct URLs would be
useful.  There's no mention of the strings "Solaris" or "CDDL" on the
page specified above.

> CDDL (the license for OpenSolaris) is an OSI-approved license; it is
> just as open as the BSD license or the MPL or any other OSI-approved
> license.
>
> As for Unix history, you can definitely see the Sixth Edition roots
> of Solaris.  Look, for example, at the comment above exit():
>
>   http://cvs.opensolaris.org/source/xref/usr/src/uts/common/os/exit.c#exit

Thanks.  That's very interesting.

> Pretty amazing that this comment hasn't changed in 30+ years...

It would seem that it's the exception.  I'm surprised how little
resemblance I find between this code and FreeBSD.

Greg
--
The virus contained in this message was not detected.