[TUHS] Sprite OS trouble.

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Tue Mar 1 06:50:58 AEST 2005

Hi.

I am trying to bring up a Sprite cluster. [1]

I was able to get the demo system running on a SPARCstation 1+ by dd-ing
the boot image to a disk. Now I wane label an additional disk, make LFS,
... make the new disk bootable to get more free disk space then I have
on the premade boot image. But I can't get a label on the disk with
labeldisk nor did I succeed using fsmakeprompt. The later crashes...

Next step is to bring a SPARCstation 2, an IPX and two ELCs into the
cluster.

Is there someone out there with Sprite experience who can help me?

Additionaly I was not able to get the PMAX image to work on my
DECstation 5000/240 nor my DECstation 3100. Any ideas? Do I really need
a DECstation 5000/200 for this?

[1] http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/Research/Projects/sprite/
A mixed architecture, distributed single system image OS capable of
process migration that presented the cluster to a user as a single,
large multiprocessor machine. Pmake and LFS (Log-Structured File System)
originate from Sprite.
--

tschüß,
       Jochen