[TUHS] What UNIX on a PDP-11/34 ?

Wilko Bulte wb at freebie.xs4all.nl
Wed Nov 9 09:35:08 AEST 2005

On Tue, Nov 08, 2005 at 10:34:06PM +0000, asbesto wrote..

> Hi all,
>
> here at freaknet medialab we made some images of our
> RL02 disk packs with RT-11 and GAMMA-11 software
> (specific for a Nuclear Camera, this pdp-11 was used
> for medical exams) :)

I have colleagues at work that used to service these GAMMA-11
machines.  Kinda special it seems.

> those images are very funny, we can use them under
> simh emulator! :)
>
> So, now that we have the backups, we're wondering about
> installing UNIX in this pdp11/34.
>
> what can we install? any hint ?

I had Ultrix-11 on ours, using 2 RK05 drives. But only briefly, as
the lack of split I/D makes an 11/34 with Ultrix-11 about as fast
as tar flowing uphill :-)

My guess would be some V6-ish version ??  Never tried that..

Wilko