[pups] [TUHS] Bob's emulator and ultrix

Toby Thain toby at smartgames.ca
Wed Apr 19 15:56:33 AEST 2006

On 18-Apr-06, at 9:42 PM, Charlie ROOT wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Apr 2006, Warren Toomey wrote:
>
>>      [ Please reply to Bill if you can, I don't know if he's on
>> the list ]
>>
>> ----- Forwarded message from Bill Cunningham <billcu1 at verizon.net>
>> -----
>>
>> Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 20:32:27 -0400
>> From: "Bill Cunningham" <billcu1 at verizon.net>
>> Subject: Bob's emulator and ultrix
>> To: <wkt at tuhs.org>
>>
>> I can't get the sim 2.3d to boot ultrix 3.1 or xenix or anyother
>> boot tapes
>> in the uhs's archive. I have compiled the pdp11 emulator with
>> gcc-3.4.6. I
>> am also interested in the OS Tim Berners-Lee used to write his first
>> browser. VMS on a VAX machine I have read. Is there anything like
>> this in
>> the archive? A VAX emulator and VMS OS?
>
> I've heard of a free VAX emulator called SIMH/vax, and a commercial
> one named Charon-VAX (or something), but I've tested neither.  If
> you're
> adventurous enough, you might consider real VAX hardware: the
> VAXstation
> 3100 and 4000 series models can be had at reasonable cost, and are not
> larger than a desktop PC.  As for VMS, at least the recent 7.x
> versions
> are available more or less freely for hobbyist use.
>
> By the way, are there releases of Xenix that run on PDP-hardware?
> I've only ever heard of PC (8086+)-based ones.

There were. On 23 March 2002 Martin Crehan started a thread on this
list, including a cite to this Slashdot posting: http://slashdot.org/
comments.pl?sid=29920&cid=3213453

I would link to the thread, but the search seems broken (http://
minnie.tuhs.org/cgi-bin/pups.cgi).

Apart from the PDP-11 version mentioned there, I am also aware of the
Lisa XENIX port (68K).

--T