[pups] [TUHS] gcc-3.4.6 and old unix

Michael Davidson michael_davidson at pacbell.net
Mon Apr 24 10:33:33 AEST 2006

Bill Cunningham wrote:

>    Has anyone thought of or tried to port the gcc to the old unixes? It
>would have to be a very scaled down version. A C compiler that would work
>with modern c89 or c99. Something to get a C compiler working that would
>compile todays programs. The old C compilers can be kept for safekeeping as
>they don't work much anymore.

By "the old unixes" I assume that you mean things like V6 and V7
for the PDP-11.

Both gcc and GNU binutils already support PDP-11 targets, at
least to some extent, so you can already do cross development
targeted at the PDP-11.

Trying to actually host gcc on a 16 bit UNIX system is almost
certainly a completely futile and pointless exercise - it is many,
*many* times too big and I am pretty sure that it assumes at
least a 32 bit host - if you cut it down enough so that it fit it
isimply wouldn't be gcc any more.

I suspect that you would also find that most of "todays programs"
wouldn't fit either ...

Michael Davidson

[ and, actually, the old C compiuers still work just fine for
 ompiling the code that they were priginally intended for ]