[TUHS] Bob's emulator and ultrix

Jose R Valverde txomsy at yahoo.es
Sat Apr 22 05:14:36 AEST 2006

I have been able to install and run ultrix 3, ultrix4
and OpenVMS on the SIMH emulator. No problem at all at
any point.

Regarding ultrix, the images available on the archive
worked like a charm. For ultrix 4 I used an
installation CD I still kept around for ULTRIX on
VAXen.

As for OpenVMS, if you are interested, it also works
OK, but getting it is a bit more difficult. First you
need a Hobbyist license from HP.

You can get one by joining a local VMS user group (or
Encompass US if there is none in your Country).
Usually you can get a free limited membership that
will give you access to the license. It must be
renewed periodically.

Then you need access to VMS for VAX distribution
media. We have been an Ultrix, OSF-Tru64 and VMS shop
for a long time, so that wasn't a problem for me.
Otherwise it might be difficult. I think you can order
a hobbyist copy from HP, but don't rely on my feeble
memory.

Once you have the license and the media, installing it
is just as simple as installing on a real VAX. I had
no trouble at all, but again, I've been a VMS sysman
as well for over 20 years. The only problematic point
is making the network work, but the recipes available
on the web are excellent. You can get to them from the
links in SIMH web page.

> Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 20:32:27 -0400
> From: "Bill Cunningham" <billcu1 at verizon.net>
> Subject: Bob's emulator and ultrix
> To: <wkt at tuhs.org>
>
> I can't get the sim 2.3d to boot ultrix 3.1 or xenix
or anyother boot tapes
> in the uhs's archive. I have compiled the pdp11
emulator with gcc-3.4.6. I
> am also interested in the OS Tim Berners-Lee used to
write his first
> browser. VMS on a VAX machine I have read. Is there
anything like this in