[TUHS] games

Pat Barron patbarron at acm.org
Fri Aug 18 07:05:54 AEST 2006

Bill Cunningham wrote:
>     You know Pat I looked under PDP and BSD 4.2 directories and I don't
> think I'm finding the distro you are meaning. I looked under the VAX
> directory to and I'm not finding the system you mentioned.
>
> Bill

Hi - Sorry for the delayed response.  It is here:

http://www.tuhs.org/Archive/4BSD/Distributions/4.2BSD/

You will need to download the "usr.tar.gz" archive, and extract these
files from it:

games/lib/dungeon
games/lib/doverlay
games/lib/dtext.dat
games/lib/dindex.dat

The file "games/lib/compat" is the compatibility mode "stub", that can
run a binary in PDP-11 compatibility mode, does system call emulation
(it looks like, at one time, it even supported running RT-11 binaries),
and stuff like that.  It actually uses the PDP-11 compatibility mode of
the VAX (i.e., it is not a PDP-11 emulator), so it only works on VAXen
that have compatibility mode.

Anyway, I suspect that if you take the binaries I've mentioned above,
and drop them into your V7 filesystem under /usr (so that the files end
up in /usr/games/lib), it may simply run.

Good luck!

--Pat.