[pups] PDP-11

Carl Lowenstein carl.lowenstein at gmail.com
Mon Jun 12 15:11:07 AEST 2006

On 6/11/06, Frank Wortner <frank at wortner.com> wrote:
> Ian King wrote:
> > I remember reworking the serial card on a PDP-8/e to talk to a 2400
> > baud "glass teletype," f
> Thanks for all the nostalgic comments.  Now I feel (a few months)
> younger.  :-)

If you had ever attached a DEC VT05 (glass teletype) to your Sixth
Edition or Seventh Edition Unix system you would understand why the
Usenix monthly magazine is named ";login:".   The user prompt contains
escape sequences to control a model 37 Teletype, but the VT05 doesn't
respond to them, and in fact ignores the <esc> character and just
displays the semicolon and colon part of the escape sequences.

    carl
--
    carl lowenstein         marine physical lab     u.c. san diego
                                                 clowenst at ucsd.edu