[TUHS] Unix, eunuchs?

Tim Bradshaw tfb at tfeb.org
Mon Jun 5 21:20:25 AEST 2006

On Mon, June 5, 2006 11:41 am, Andrzej Popielewicz wrote:

> eunuch is pronounced as "yoo-nuk" (not all symbols reproduced) unit is
> "yoo-nit"
> unique is "yoo-neek"
>
> In Webster English Language Dictionary
>

> eunuch is "'yunek" unit is "'yunet" unique is "yu'nek,yu'nik"
>
> You can notice, that unix , more similar to unit or unique will be
> pronounced differently(?).

I think the position of the stress is important.  `Unix', the way I
pronounce it (and I think the way everyone does) is stressed on the 1st
syllable, as is `eunuch' and `Multics'.  To a large extent the distinction
in the sound of the 2nd syllable then doesn't matter because in typical
English dialects they all end up the same null sound (schwar? I forget the
name).

`unique' for instance has stress on second syllable, so really is very
different.

--tim