[pups] simh and 2.11BSD

Andru Luvisi luvisi at andru.sonoma.edu
Thu May 25 02:47:19 AEST 2006

On Wed, 24 May 2006, John Floren wrote:
[snip]
> I can boot into what appears to be a workable system, but I'd like to have
> networking and a larger hard drive. Can somebody help me out with getting
> this set up? If anybody else out there has done the same thing, I'd like to
> hear exactly what you did.
> Thank you very much

For networking, you need to:
   compile simh with networking support
   edit 211bsd.simh to
     attach to the correct network device
     use the hardware address that you want
   Inside the system, you will need to edit /etc/hosts and /etc/netstart
   to configure your hostname and networking options.
   Reboot

As for getting a bigger disk, you've got two options.  Reinstall on a
larger disk image, or just mount a larger disk image onto the file system.

To reinstall, read the directions in README.networked.211BSD and
docs/2.11bsd_setup.txt .  If you do a fresh reinstall, you will need to
recompile the kernel (as described in docs/2.11bsd_setup.txt) to get
networking support.

Or you can create a second, larger, disk image with dd, attach it, and
label, format, and mount it from within the emulator.

Best of luck,
Andru
--
Andru Luvisi

Quote Of The Moment:
  ( Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound. )