[TUHS] Bell Labs Holmdel site coming down

Lyrical Nanoha lyricalnanoha at dosius.ath.cx
Thu May 18 09:27:00 AEST 2006

On Wed, 17 May 2006, patv at monmouth.com wrote:

> I have heard some grumblings of TOG possibly releasing CDE as open source,
> but have no idea of where that stands.  To be perfectly frank, it had a
> lot of problems, especially in a 64-bit world.  There were too many word
> size assumptions, and a very good friend struggled for many, many hours
> fixing those problems before it went to DEIL in India for support.  It
> could probably still benefit from a good “many eyes” developer review and
> bug fix session in the hands of open source developers.  However, IMHO, it
> no longer has any advantage over KDE or Gnome, but, as I said, that is my
> opinion.

It's not a matter of advantage so much as it's been a de-facto standard
for so long and I'd just like to work with it even if it's just a clone
like Lesstif.

> OSF1/Digital UNIX/Tru64 UNIX was already branded as UNIX, and it would be
> fun to see what would happen to the landscape if a branded UNIX was free.
> Unfortunately, too many proprietary licensed pieces of code in the HP
> version, especially in System V support, for that to ever happen. Oh well,
> we can all dream …

Well, there is the Solaris stuff, and some of it's gone into Heirloom,
which I believe is an attempt to bring together the existing open-sourced
Unix code, and bring it up to date.  And I think Lesstif is a good enough
clone of Motif for the majority of programs, in the way that Linux is of
Unix, or am I wrong?

-uso.