[TUHS] V7 unix

Hellwig.Geisse at mni.fh-giessen.de Hellwig.Geisse at mni.fh-giessen.de
Sat May 27 19:23:25 AEST 2006

Hi Bill,

On 26-May-2006 Bill Cunningham wrote:
> I have noticed something about your v7 creation. When I try to use the C
> compiler to compile fp support or any system structures(not structs but
> components) I get an error /lib/c0 so there's something wrong with the c0
> pass in libc. It was probably that way when the tapes were recovered. I have
> managed to compile and assemble all the c source in the /usr/src/cmd/c
> directory into object files so the assembler works. What should I do
> manually with all these .o files? I need a working compiler.

in principle, the .o files have to be bound (together with
the libraries) by the linker, which produces the executable.
But this is tedious to do manually, so you better use the
makefile (and the "make" utility) to run the necessary
commands automatically.

I can reproduce your problem with the c0 pass. I don't
know the exact cause but I guess it has nothing to do
with the compiler itself. I found a workaround: reset
the sticky bit for cc, i.e., do a "chmod 755 cc" in /bin.
At least on my machine I then can run the makefile for
building cc without errors.

Hellwig