[TUHS] TUHS Digest, Vol 35, Issue 4

Larry McVoy lm at bitmover.com
Thu Nov 30 12:26:44 AEST 2006

> for new code (and Sys V is mostly new enough, unlike Unix V32) after

Hmm.  I'm coming into this late so maybe I'm not seeing the full context.
If the statement is that V32 != Sys V I have to disagree, I've read all
of 32V source (kernel and user and I mean all of it.  It's not like I
had deep understanding of every line but my eyes have seen every line
of code in 32V, it's not that big).  I've also read large chunks of
Sys V - not all of it, but depending on the release, fairly large
chunks, like 80% or more.

The idea that most stuff was rewritten in Sys V is not true, not even
slightly true.  I dunno if that is what is being claimed but if it is
that's silly.  Most of the stuff is the same, especially in userspace
but also in the kernel, tons of the kernel is unchanged.
--
---
Larry McVoy                lm at bitmover.com           http://www.bitkeeper.com