[pups] thrust meter?

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Thu Oct 5 22:15:54 AEST 2006

On Wed, 4 Oct 2006, Brian Knittel wrote:

> The thrust meter project -- was that an analog meter that displayed %
> CPU utilization? I remember that Tom Ferrin had one mounted in the
> middle of a DEC panel filler on the 11/70 at the Computer Graphics Lab
> at UCSF. It was really delightful having this analog meter bouncing up
> and down as people worked away.

I believe so...

(Dave leans over to dig out article.)

OK, page 27 of AUUG Vol 2 No 5 (Jun/Jul 1980).

It integrated the BUS BUSY signal over a suitable time constant (and my
electronics knowledge is a bit too rusty to figure out Tc, but with a
10uF tantalum capacitor I imagine it would be a few seconds).

The credits are:

Designed originally by Pete Madams (Essex), modified by J Feenstra
(Nijmegen), and this drawing executed by Paul Griffith (Essex).

-- Dave