[pups] User Mode DoS Attacks (was Re: Issues of AUUGN)

Milo Velimirovic milov at uwlax.edu
Thu Oct 5 23:46:13 AEST 2006

> But you'd need kernel mode for that; this is a DoS attack (one of the
> first?) launched by a user.

The userland DoS I remember:

main() {
	while(1)
		fork();
}

And in fact I tried it once on the 11/45 I had access to. Not pretty.
It can be made less disastrous by judicious addition of a wait(); call.

--Milo, wondering how contemporary UNIX will deal with such
pathological behavior....

--
Milo Velimirović
University of Wisconsin - La Crosse