[pups] User Mode DoS Attacks (was Re: Issues of AUUGN)

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Fri Oct 6 00:44:36 AEST 2006

Back in those days, there didn't exist any process limits, except for
system wide ones... :-)

Another fun exercise that actually hurts systems today, but didn't hurt
much back then, are programs that allocate a large chunk of memory and
hit on a single address on each page repetedly.

Talk about thrashing the memory system... :-) But on the PDP-11, you
don't use demand paging, nor can you allocate that much memory.

	Johnny