[pups] thrust meter?

John Holden johnh at psych.usyd.edu.au
Wed Oct 11 08:20:04 AEST 2006

On 10/10/2006, at 9:00 PM, Dave Horsfall wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Oct 2006, Johnny Billquist wrote:
>
>> Hmm, but yeah. Since the bus might be idle even though the CPU is
>> running, you might not get a very good reading by looking at the
>> unibus.
>> But I think there are other signals that would be better to integrate
>> over. Such as the MASTER lamp (or is it the CPU lamp perhaps?) of the
>> front panel.

The MASTER lamp signifies that the CPU has the unibus, hence a
similar problem
to using BUS BUSY. You could use KERNEL/SUPERVISOR/USER signals as an
indication
of context switches. My favourite is a light chaser using the data
display from
the idle loop. Only works on an 11/45/50/55/60/70 (a bit boring on a
11/60 as
it had a 7 segment display).

> Which reminds me; try holding the light-pen of a GT40 against its own
> console lights :-)

Got one in my office. The lightpen latches the current x/y
coordinates from
the d/a converters. Aim it at something that will trigger it and you
get random
hits all over the screen