[TUHS] HP Apollo Series 400 and DOMAIN/OS...

Wilko Bulte wb at freebie.xs4all.nl
Fri Dec 21 22:31:13 AEST 2007

Quoting Tim Bradshaw, who wrote on Fri, Dec 21, 2007 at 11:15:19AM +0000 ..
> On 21 Dec 2007, at 10:09, asbesto wrote:
> >

> > We just recovered an HP APOLLO Series 400 in our computer museum,
> > and we got the installation tapes of DOMAIN/OS. It seem a very
> > particular flavour of BSD 5.3. We also made a dump of the
> > tapes, to preserve it. :D
> >

> My memory, which is fading, is that DOMAIN/OS was previously Aegis,
> and was not actually a Unix at all, although it had (or later had,
> perhaps) a lot of compatibility.  It has all sorts of cool features.

You could have DomainOS take a BSD or a SysV personality.  Very interesting.

There was also some fileserver functionality that allows
//fileserver/some/path/somefile style access to everything we had hanging
off the tokenring network.

Rather neat.

Wilko