[TUHS] TUHS Digest, Vol 44, Issue 5

Larry McVoy lm at bitmover.com
Thu Dec 27 13:39:22 AEST 2007

It's not me, it's all of you.  OSL has a gigabit link to the net if I
recall correctly.  But I don't think TUHS needs that.  There are only
so many of us old farts.  But fast is nice.

I do think that there is a _huge_ amount of value in the TUHS archive.
I think that anyone I hire who has not wandered through there, should.

Anyhoo, I'm pinging the OSL guys, I suspect that they will be cool about
hosting a mirror, they have been way cool in the past.  For that matter,
they'd host www.tuhs.org but I suspect Warren may not be cool with that.
Dunno.  I can arrange introductions, they are a cool group, this is a
cool group, who knows?

I'm off to put the chickens to bed (yeah, I live in that sort of place.
My net connection is a 100KB/sec but http://bitmover.com/lm/house makes
it worth it, great to live in the country with the bobcats, coyotes,
boar, mountain lions, and still commute to silicon valley).

I'll report back as soon as I know more.  Happy holidays to everyone and
for the record, I'm one of those guys that have learned a huge amount
from the old school unix and apply it to this day.  One of my machines
is named slovax because that was the 11/750 at Wisconsin that held the
BSD source and I had an account.  Still remember the day I read popen()
source and realized you code fork in libc - that was an eye-opener.
I think it still has a lot of value and appreciate Warren and all of
you for caring and passing on the knowledge.

Cheers all,

--lm

On Wed, Dec 26, 2007 at 10:17:55PM -0500, Jim Capp wrote:
> Larry,
>
>      How fat of a pipe do you need?
>
> Jim
>

> On Wed, Dec 26, 2007 at 06:08:00PM -0800, Larry McVoy wrote:
> > I'm pinging my contacts to see if I can find a place to host a mirror.
> > I think that Oregon State Open Source Lab has a fat link to the net
> > and I used to know Scott K but he's moved on.  If I get anywhere I'll
> > get back to the list.
> >
> > BTW, whoever is the listmom, can you change me from digest to regular?
> > --
> > ---
> > Larry McVoy                lm at bitmover.com           http://www.bitkeeper.com

---