[TUHS] Recovering flaky CDs (was: mach & nextstep.)

Jose R. Valverde jrvalverde at cnb.uam.es
Tue Nov 6 03:07:24 AEST 2007

On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 09:36:55 +1100
Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog at lemis.com> wrote:
> On Thursday, 11 October 2007 at 15:14:01 +0200, Jose R. Valverde wrote:
> >> I *think* I have.
>
> Is there anybody on this list who knows a way of recovering flaky CDs?

It depends. If the content is not damaged then you can probably "wipe" them.
I mean, look at the printed side: if there are scratches there chances are
the data is damaged as well and you may be out of luck (depends on whether it
affects the catalog).

However, if the printed surface is not terribly damaged, and the problem is
that the mirror-looking side is scratched then your data may be healthy and
it is surface irregularity that distorts the laser. There are kits out there
that can wipe the surface and render it again smooth. I used one such kit
several years ago with good results. Casually, it's on the shelf in front
of my eyes now.. lemme see... It says

	CURTIS disk restore. Radial scratch repair and cleaning system for
CD/DVD discs. www.curtis.com

According to the box it will not repair gauges, deep scratches, label-side
damaging or warping.

	These opinions are mine and only mine. Hey man, I saw them first!

			    José R. Valverde

	De nada sirve la Inteligencia Artificial cuando falta la Natural