[TUHS] New V7 port available

Robert Nordier rnordier at nordier.com
Sat Oct 6 05:05:48 AEST 2007

On Thu, Oct 04, 2007 at 02:44:27PM -0400, Michael Kerpan wrote:

> Awesome work. I notice that you require at least a 486 to run this
> though. Is there any technical reason, or could this be moved to a 386
> by means of a simple recompile? Also, how 32-bit IS the port? Would it
> be hard to build a 286 version or even 8086/8088 version to give a
> real OS to the old XT/AT in the basement?

Thanks.  Provided you had a 387 as well, a 386 should be OK.  The
486 has some useful cache instructions like "invd" and "invlpg",
but it was the lack of builtin floating point I was thinking of.

Others have already responded about the 286/8086, so I'll only say
the port IS very 32-bit, and it would be hard to change that.

--
Robert Nordier