[TUHS] SunOS 4.1.1?

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Sat Sep 22 00:58:06 AEST 2007

Tim Bradshaw scripsit:

>  From memory (fairly old memory) if you had a Sun then you had a
> license to run SunOS.  This possibly applies only to smaller machines
> - certainly later on (in the Solaris era) you had to buy extra
> licenses for machines with more than a few (1? 2?) processors.
> Obviously that's not true any more.

The best available story for the Sun3 code is that Sun doesn't
object to non-commercial use (which certainly is not the same
as an open source license).

> Of course you should check the license.

There's nothing to check -- in those days SunOS didn't come
with a machine-readable license.

--
LEAR: Dost thou call me fool, boy?      John Cowan
FOOL: All thy other titles              http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
             thou hast given away:      cowan at ccil.org
      That thou wast born with.