[pups] init on V6 Unix

Warren Toomey wkt at tuhs.org
Tue Apr 1 14:22:15 AEST 2008

On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 09:44:59AM +0800, Hao Qingfeng-TKNV68 wrote:
> Hello, Warren, Excuse me for my abruptness. I am  QingFeng Hao from
> China and got your mail from the website through google searching, :-).
> I know you're expect on the operating system. Now I am researching the
> Unix V6's source code , but I met some questions, if you could spend
> some time to give some aim, I 'll apprecite it much.
> Question1: After startup, process 1 runs in the user mode and execute
> the file /etc/init actually, right? So what's the /etc/init's content?
> When was it written to the disk(combined with Unix)?
> Question2: Do you have any documents about the peripherals such as
> KL-11, PC-11? I just got a pdp11/40  and a simple hardware manual from
> the website. But they are not enough.
> Thanks a lot.
> QingFeng Hao
> Moto-SME

Hi QingFeng, I think you should join the PUPS mailing list ( see
http://minnie.tuhs.org/mailman/listinfo/pups ), as the people on
the list should be able to answer your questions.

Q1: The source code for V6 init.c is here:
    http://minnie.tuhs.org/UnixTree/V6/usr/source/s1/init.c.html

Q2: I would browse through this area of bitsavers.org:
    http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/dec/pdp11/

Hope this helps, and if you have other questions please e-mail them
to the PUPS mailing list, so that we can all help you out.

Cheers,
	Warren