[Unix-jun72] Existing resources

Warren Toomey wkt at tuhs.org
Tue Apr 29 08:49:32 AEST 2008

I just thought I'd make a quick list of what we have at our disposal, apart
from the humans that is :)

http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/bellLabs/unix/PreliminaryUnixImplementationDocument_Jun72.pdf
	- the 1972 kernel on paper, currently being OCR'd in

http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/who/dmr/1stEdman.html
http://www.tuhs.org/Archive/PDP-11/Distributions/research/Dennis_v3/v3man.tar.gz
	- manuals for 1st and 3rd Edition UNIX. I have 2nd Ed on paper, and
	  I'll scan it in.

http://www.tuhs.org/Archive/PDP-11/Distributions/research/1972_stuff/
	- binaries from around 1972 in the s2.tar.gz tarball.
	- fragment of source code from 1972 in s1-fragments.tar.gz.

http://www.tuhs.org/Archive/Applications/Early_C_Compilers/
	- early C compiler source, known to be working and can
	  recompile itself. The last1120c.tar.gz is probably the
	  one best suited to the 1972 kernel.

http://www.tuhs.org/Archive/PDP-11/Emulators/Apout/
	- Apout, an emulator which can actually run the 1972 binaries.
	  This means we can use the 1972 tools to help reconstruct the system.

http://simh.trailing-edge.com/
	- Bob Supnik's simh emulator, which we can use to boot the kernel
	  once it's typed in and assembled

Cheers,
	Warren