[TUHS] Whence 1st Edition Unix Kernel Assembly?

Tim Newsham newsham at lava.net
Thu Apr 24 16:04:10 AEST 2008

> What about a community effort?  The sources start on pdf page 6 and go
> through pdf page 96.  That's only 91 pages.  If someone was to OCR these
> and place them in some distributed revision control, one page per file,
> and 9 people each took ownership over 10 pages each, it wouldn't take
> that much effort to get it done.  Someone would have to write scripts
> to glue the pages properly back into files, but that should be a fairly
> minor effort in comparison.  Finally someone would have to get build
> tools appropriate for processing the files, and feed back the errors
> to the contributors to help fix up (or provide tools for contributors
> to test their work independently).
>
> I could commit myself to 10 pages if others were willing to come forward
> and take a chunk.

Here's a start.

     http://www.thenewsh.com/%7Enewsham/unix_jun72/

I did the 10 pages of section E00.  It took me about
3-4 hours.  The files should probably be reviewed, so I'm estimating
about 5 hours of work for 10 pages.

If other people are interested in committing their time, I'll commit to
another 10 pages plus reviewing 10 pages of someone elses work if someone
will review my work.

Tim Newsham
http://www.thenewsh.com/~newsham/