[pups] PDP-11 / vacuum tube interface

Jay Jaeger cube1 at charter.net
Wed Dec 10 12:41:49 AEST 2008

Back in the 1970's Paul Pierce used a D/A converter on a PDP-11 at the UW
Computer Systems Lab to generate music much like early PC sound cards did
-- by combining harmonics in various ratios.  Although he happened to have
used RT-11, there is no reason why it could not be done under Unix.  (The
UW Computer Systems Lab also had a Votrax).

So, sure, you could, with an A/D and D/A converter do something like
that.  I am not sure that the various emulators have done emulation for A/D
or D/A, but in principle, it ought to be possible.

AC coupling (via a capacitor) of the input or output would remove any
concerns about the relatively high DC voltages.  Besides, input signals
ordinarily come into the grids of vacuum tube circuits by way of a
transformer.  Ditto for outputs from tube circuits.

Jay Jaeger