[TUHS] IANAL. Kimball has ruled

Gregg C Levine hansolofalcon at worldnet.att.net
Fri Jul 18 01:55:53 AEST 2008

Hello!
Good to know.
However that's only valid for those individuals who are still running older
versions of Solaris.

It would not have impacted any version of Solaris, including the Open one.
And why you are asking? I am glad you asked. It seems that according to the
good people at the Sun offices here in the City, that by the time version 9
was released, that the code base was completely rewritten, and contains
absolutely nothing from BSD, and most certainly nothing from the original
creators of UNIX.

The fact that we can login on to a Sun system the same way we can logon to
an emulated PDP-11 running the Seventh Edition of UNIX is clearly meant to
be that way. (BSD2.11 included but not presumed.)

Besides, those zealots at SCO only wanted to go out of business making all
of us look foolish, I am very glad that it backfired and they are the ones
looking foolish, because in the end it ruined the work habits of a lot of
good people, and destroyed a lot of good software as well. (Not the stuff we
discuss, related in function however.)
Gregg C Levine hansolofalcon at worldnet.att.net

On Behalf
> Of Jose R. Valverde
> Sent: Thursday, July 17, 2008 4:18 AM
> To: tuhs at minnie.tuhs.org
> Subject: [TUHS] IANAL. Kimball has ruled
>
> Following up to recent questions about whether OpenSolaris might be
jeopardized
> if SCO didn't have the rights to provide the license, I see that judge
Kimball