[TUHS] IANAL. Kimball has ruled

Michael Kerpan madcrow.maxwell at gmail.com
Fri Jul 18 03:32:22 AEST 2008

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 1:27 PM, Larry McVoy <lm at bitmover.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 01:12:05PM -0400, John Cowan wrote:
>> Indeed, both ditroff and Plan 9 troff are directly descended from
>> JFO's code.  Only groff is independent, which just goes to show what a
>> heroic programmer (in a quiet way) James Clark really is (as do nsgmls
>> and jing/trang).
>
> As a still-using-troff sort of person, I can vouch for James.  Wow.
> Cool stuff.  And groff really is mucho better than the original.

Perhaps, but it's not as good as Heirloom Troff, which is based on the
"real" sources, but adds lots of groff's features PLUS adds a new font
system that allows for the trasparent use of unmodified Type 1,
Truetype and even OpenType (including all the fancy stuff) fonts AND
tweaks the various typesetting algorithms for MUCH nicer results.