[TUHS] IANAL. Kimball has ruled

Boyd Lynn Gerber gerberb at zenez.com
Fri Jul 18 06:40:38 AEST 2008

On Thu, 17 Jul 2008, Pepe wrote:
> > From: "Jose R. Valverde" <jrvalverde at cnb.csic.es>
>
> > From: Boyd Lynn Gerber <gerberb at zenez.com>
> >
> > Caldera/SCO was trying to get everything opensourced.  They released
> > OpenUNIX 8.0 which was UnixWare 7.1.2.
>
> What? Care to show proof? What do you mean by the mention of "OpenUNIX"
> in the same paragraph where you say "SCO was trying to get everything
> opensourced"? That "OpenUNIX" is proof of the "opensourcing" done at
> The SCO Group?

No, It was the name choosen to spearhead the new opensource movement of
Caldera after purchase of SCO divisions from the OLD SCO.  There were only
3-12 people outside SCO that new about the soon to be released email list.
It was an NDA list, sadly I can not reproduce the copies because of the
idiot that over wrote over 750 GB of disk with "DIE SCO DIE SCO".  I was
not backing up NDA stuff.  But if you can get the Forum Presenations from
the year Caldera purchased SCO assests and the next one you will see their
agenda to OpenSource everything clearly stated.  Ransome Love if my memory
is correct was CEO at the time.

> What??
>
> > They had reached an agreement with every one and were about to release
> > everything a the big expo in Jan/Feb east cost.  It was to be a joint
> > IBM/SCO announcement, when IBM suddenly decided against it and were
> > addamanly now doing everything to stop it.
>
> Those are not verifiable facts. Rumors and hearsay make no history.

No, not rummors or hearsey.  I was in the meetings where it was discussed.
There were the IBM reps, SCO reps and a few others.   This was just prior
to the big show.  The next day IBM came in and said they would not
opensource the stuff.  All the press released were trashed and then the
battle began.

> > I am grateful to SCO for their attempt to make UnixWare/OpenUNIX
> > opensource.  I just wish it had succedded.
>
> What attempts? Vaporware is nothing to be grateful about.

You were not there and did not live through what was happening.  I was.  I
know others were as well.  It was not vaporware.  It was also part of the
new United Linux.  SUSE was there, as well as the other members of the
colliation.  It was a sad day when it all happened.  It was to be part of
the big announcement of United Linux.

--
Boyd Gerber <gerberb at zenez.com>
ZENEZ	1042 East Fort Union #135, Midvale Utah  84047