[TUHS] Introduction

Jose R. Valverde jrvalverde at cnb.csic.es
Wed Jun 25 19:40:40 AEST 2008

Oliver:

Right, it seems that I mistransliterated the code in a hurry or confusion.

I notice that on prf.c *adx is a pointer to be assigned to s, whereas in
sys2.c uap->linkname is the pointer itself thas is assigned to u.u_dirp.l
So my initial transliteration was wrong as I was assigning *uap->linkname
instead of uap->linkname.

Reviewing the assembler you submitted I notice it looks almost like what you
wanted but for @rr2 instead of rr2 so it might have been the extra * I
wrongly added in front of the parenthesized & expression and the erroneously
placed parenthesis (which I also got wrong) the reason for not getting what
you wanted.

If on prf.c you have in printf
	register unsigned int *adx;
	char *s;

	adx = &x1;
	s = (char *) * adx;
and was recoded on WEGA in printfv
	register unsigned *adx;
	register char *s;

	adx = x1;
	s = (char *)(*(long *)adx & 0x7F00FFFF);

then maybe the right code on sys.c would be a change from
	caddr_t u.u_dirp;		/* char *, from param.h user.h */
        register struct a {
                char    *target;
                char    *linkname;
        } *uap;
	u.u_dirp.l = (caddr_t) uap->linkname;
	caddr_t u.u_dirp.l;		/* char *, from param.h user.h */
	register struct a {
                char    *target;
                char    *linkname;
        } *uap;
	u.u_dirp.l = (caddr_t) ) ((long *) uap->linkname & 0x7F00FFFF);

Note also the difference in parenthesis usage with what you said you had
tried on http://pofo.de/P8000/problems.php
	u.u_dirp.l = (caddr_t)(((long)uap->linkname) & 0x7F00FFFF);

I fear that I was too tired when I wrote my previous posting and made two
many mistakes.

Anyway, the first step should be to check what prf.c generates as assembler
at these & lines when compiled. If it matches the sample code you mention you
have in other places then it means the same device was used to generate it
(which I would guess is the case) and then it should be a matter of thinking
clearly of what is being assigned. I do believe the surviving trace in prf.c
is the key to understanding the problem assembly code.

--
	These opinions are mine and only mine. Hey man, I saw them first!

			    José R. Valverde

	De nada sirve la Inteligencia Artificial cuando falta la Natural