[Unix-jun72] Fwd: Trying to restore 1972 UNIX

Warren Toomey wkt at tuhs.org
Thu May 1 16:05:07 AEST 2008

Guys, I got this message from Dennis.
	Warren
----- Forwarded message from Dennis Ritchie -----

Subject: Re: Trying to restore 1972 UNIX
Date: Thu, 1 May 2008 00:55:35 -0400

About the assembler, I am pretty sure that it's substantially
the same as that on the 5th edition tape, so it's likely
that a modified version, without the syscall definitions,
could be produced.

I have dug up another listing of the PDP-11 assembly languge
version, which seems to about contemporary with the
one you have.  The files mostly bear a copyright date
of 1972, but like other printouts from the time,
the datestamps only give month and day, not year.
They are generally from May.  It is post 11/45,
and has segmentation and floating-point support.

Incidentally, it doesn't use any of the system call  names
as such; 'read' is at sysread: and so on.

About assembling it, I'm pretty sure we just did
'as u?.s' and the a.out was ready.  This was before
make, after all.

  Dennis
----- End forwarded message -----

I replied and asked if we could get either a scan copy of the "other listing",
or if he could send a photocopy to Tim.

Cheers,
	Warren