[Unix-jun72] cold boot tape

Tim Newsham newsham at lava.net
Fri May 2 14:14:56 AEST 2008

I wrote a utility for building a cold boot tape and included it in the
tools directory.  Its not yet tested so its possible I got the format
wrong... its based on my reading of init at the end of u0.s.

It seems like the permissions in the s2.tar.gz file from the
1972_stuff reflect the original 1ed permission bits (at least the
low order bits do) so this makes restoring the original permissions
fairly easy.  Unfortunately the tar doesn't preserve the original
uids.  The included "Readme" does have the original uids, so its
possible to recreate the proper uids by hand.  If you do so,
my mktape utility should write out the proper uid and mode values.

The use is straightforward:

     cd /your/s2/directory
     /path/to/mktape.py bin/* etc/*

and you'll get a "tape" file out.  I believe you just need the
stuf in bin and etc.  The stuff from usr should probably go on
the rk03 disk after cold boot.

Tim Newsham
http://www.thenewsh.com/~newsham/