[Unix-jun72] ed

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Tue May 6 13:10:49 AEST 2008

Brad Parker scripsit:

> I think at some point I spent some time with ex also, which was
> sort of post ed, pre vi.  Maybe on sun-1's?  I can't remember, but
> the commands seem to translate.

Ex and vi have always been twins; the ancestral form was em ("editor for
mortals"), which had the 1-line window (ex's o(pen) command) but not the
full screen.  Supposedly among em users, the name "ed" was retconned to
mean "editor for divinities".

> I can do vi but it's always a strain.  ed is less complex.

I'd like to switch to sam one day, but so far I haven't.

--
John Cowan  cowan at ccil.org   ccil.org/~cowan
Dievas dave dantis; Dievas duos duonos          --Lithuanian proverb