[TUHS] historical users and groups

Tim Bradshaw tfb at tfeb.org
Thu Jan 15 03:15:13 AEST 2009

On 14 Jan 2009, at 00:59, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:

> staff group
> How would this differ from wheel or operators?
> Any recent systems actually have default use of this?

My memory (from BSD 4.2 / 4/3 systems, I didn't use anything older
other than transiently) is that staff was for, well, staff: real
permanent staff, as opposed to guests or students.

Wheel was people who could su, and I think that su knew about the
wheel group.  Or maybe it just knew about GID 0?  Was wheel always GID
0?  I have an unreliable memory that it was wheel because it was
round, like 0.

However This was all lore passed down from people who ran the systems
before me (other than the su thing, I am pretty sure that I looked at
source for (some version of) su and it did indeed know about some
special group) and I don't know where they got it from.

--tim