[TUHS] Wikipedia for Unix?

Warren Toomey wkt at tuhs.org
Sat Jun 6 09:30:40 AEST 2009

On Fri, Jun 05, 2009 at 02:40:00PM -0400, Jason Stevens wrote:
> I don't know I may be just dreaming in the sense I figure I'd probably
> end up with something just as empty, but would people be willing to
> put forth some kind of wiki of antidotes of their usage of various
> Unix on platforms?

Jason's e-mail gave me an idea. There's a website somewhere where some
of the Mac developers captured anecdotes of the development of the Mac.
How about a wiki-like website for Unix, which is a combination of an
anecdote Wiki and a Wikipedia-for-Unix?

The site could capture stories, technical documentation, historical
summaries, usage tips etc. Where possible, articles would have citations,
but the site should allow the storage of primary documents too, e.g.
e-mails and old Usenet articles.

I'd suggest that editing isn't open to the general public, but either by
invitation or vetting. A group of people would be needed to watch out for
seriously bad articles/editing. At the same time, Unix history has been
very diverse and there has always been lots of opposing sub-groups, so
the site would need to be able to capture & deal with this diversity, as
would the people overseeing the site.

Comments?
	Warren