[TUHS] How good a representative of System V is Solaris

Tim Bradshaw tfb at tfeb.org
Fri May 29 23:08:19 AEST 2009

On 29 May 2009, at 13:12, A P Garcia wrote:

> It sure looks like the Solaris 8
> userland, at least, is almost pure System V.

I don't think that follows from the copyright headers.  Those can't be
removed unless there is (essentially) *nothing* remaining of the
original.

Alternatively, you could say that, yes, it's a System V, but it's a
late 90s System V (and Solaris 10 is a 2005 System V).  So it depends
on what you are after I guess: if you want to know what System V was
like in 1980-something then Solaris won't tell you that, any more than
OS X will tell you what 4.2 BSD was like.  If you want to know what a
*modern* System V or BSD is like then, sure, look at Solaris or OS X.

--tim