[pups] extract old archive format?

Warren Toomey wkt at tuhs.org
Fri Apr 9 15:11:54 AEST 2010

On Thu, Apr 08, 2010 at 08:25:29AM -0500, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> I want to look in some .a files identified by file(1) as "old PDP-11
> archive".
>
> Anyone know what tool I can use on a modern *BSD or Linux system to
> extract the files from an "old PDP-11" ar archive?

As an alternative to doing it by hand, you can compile and install my
Apout user-mode simulator, then run a PDP-11 ar inside Apout. This gives
you direct access to your normal filesystem, which makes extraction easier.

The latest Apout can be found in the svn snapshot here:
http://code.google.com/p/unix-jun72/downloads/list

You will also need to grab some V7 binaries, at least /bin/sh and /bin/ar,
from http://minnie.tuhs.org/Archive/PDP-11/Distributions/research/Henry_Spencer_v7/v7.tar.gz

Cheers,
	Warren