[TUHS] Origins of drand48()?

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Thu Apr 1 12:23:31 AEST 2010

In message: <20100401020155.GG18965 at bitmover.com>
            Larry McVoy <lm at bitmover.com> writes:
: I suspect it is really ATT source.  There is a lot more of that around
: than people admit.

Yea.  Lots of snippets make their way into all kinds of different
systems.  Linux and BSD, although much of what's in the latter was
been blessed by USL and has their copyright notice (and permission to
copy).

: I also suspect it doesn't matter.  Your points about how it works are
: part of it, but the bigger part is that Unix, at this point, has very
: little IP value.  It's mostly there in Linux et al.

This is also true.  Part of the problem here too is that it isn't
clear that this code is actually copyrighted or not.  This was part of
the AT&T vs BSD case: due to lack of copyright notices, many works
that AT&T thought they had a copyright on they don't.  This is one of
the main reasons why they settled the suit with Berkeley....  Of
course, in this instance, if Warren can't find it in the BSD archives,
then it likely wasn't in 32V...

Warner

: --lm
: