[TUHS] 2.11 BSD question... (exe sizes)

Jason Stevens neozeed at gmail.com
Wed Aug 11 08:23:00 AEST 2010

I managed to get 2.11 installed on SIMH, and hacked the de driver to work
(pretty much the same thing I did for 4.2 BSD on the 11/780) and now I've
gotten it networking.

I'll admit I'm not all that swift on the pdp-11, but I get the impression
that the maximum exe size is 128kb with 64kb of instructions, and 64kb of
data?  Isn't there something that can be done with overlays or some other
linker thing to act like an 8086/80286 with the large memory model (ie
multiple segments...?)

I've been trying to build ircII-4.4 and I can't figure out how to link
something that big... I've tried the -Z and -O flags to ld to no avail.

Clearly I'm doing either something wrong, or impossible or stupid.

FWIW, here is the size of the same program on the VAX

myname# ls -l irc-4.4
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root       413696 Jun  8 08:46 irc-4.4*
myname# size irc-4.4
text    data    bss     dec     hex
293888  67584   20784   382256  5d530

I have a feeling that 300kb of text, along with 67kb of data is just too
much...?

Any pointers would be appreciated!

Jason