[TUHS] NetBSD 0.8 kernel builds & runs!

Jason Stevens neozeed at gmail.com
Mon Dec 6 02:54:17 AEST 2010

I had to use a good chunk of 386 BSD pl 23 to fill in the missing
parts from the CVS archive of the kernel, but I got it to build!

>From the NetBSD 0.8 release/announcement it doe say:

The source for NetBSD is derived from 386BSD 0.1, patched
with the 0.2.2 patch kit.  In addition, many programs in
UCB's second BSD Networking Software Release which were
missing from 386BSD have been integrated into NetBSD, some
of the changes from the upcoming 0.2.3 patch kit have been
included, and many local additions and bug fixes have
been performed.

So I'm assuming this wouldn't be too far off then.

So for the curious, here is a dmesg:

386BSD 0.1 (GENERICISA) #2: Sun Dec  5 13:30:14 PST 2010
  root at branch.oldbsd.org:/usr/src/sys.386bsd/arch/compile/J
real mem  = 67104768
avail mem = 64663552
pc0 at 0x60-0x6f irq 1 on isa
pc0: color
wdc0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7 irq 14 on isa
wdc0: <QEMU HARDDISK>
wd0 at wdc0 slave 0
fdc0 at 0x3f0-0x3f7 irq 6 drq 2 on isa
ne0 at 0x320 irq 10 on isa
 ethernet address 52:54:00:12:34:56
npx0 at 0xf0 irq 13 on isa
wdc0: extra interrupt
wdc0: extra interrupt
ISA strayintr 4004ff
ISA strayintr 4004ff
ISA strayintr 4004ff
ISA strayintr 2ff
ISA strayintr 2ff
ISA strayintr 2ff
ISA strayintr 2ff
ISA strayintr 2ff
ISA strayintr 2ff
ISA strayintr 2ff
Too many ISA strayintr not logging any more

I'm not sure if the 386BSD name is hanging around because of all the
386 BSD files I included of if it wasn't renamed in NetBSD 0.8 ...  I
can give anyone the list of files, steps etc, or it may be easier to
just download the merged & built sources here:

http://vpsland.superglobalmegacorp.com/install/NetBSD/NetBSD-0.8/Resurrection/kernel08-build.tar.gz

Thanks to everyone for providing the CVS and a few hints on what was
going on with it..!