[TUHS] Irwin 285

Larry McVoy lm at bitmover.com
Fri Jan 22 06:11:25 AEST 2010

On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 09:00:34PM +0100, Wilko Bulte wrote:
> Quoting Larry McVoy, who wrote on Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 11:58:18AM -0800 ..
> > On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 08:56:19PM +0100, Wilko Bulte wrote:
> > > Quoting Jochen Kunz, who wrote on Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 08:48:29PM +0100 ..

> > > Sun 3 had rather small QIC tapes, I think I had 60MB in mine?

> > > I gave up on QIC when I had a 2GB version.  Had a lot to do with the fact I
> > > was given a DLT, I admit :)
> >
> > Does anyone still use tape for personal backup?  I've long since gone to
> > external usb drives that I shove in the gun safe (aka fire safe).
>
> LTO3 here :)  But the disks are getting to be too big to fit a level 0 on a
> single tape.  I need to go and try to understand something like Amanda
> backup s/w I think.  Suggestions welcome.

Dude, 800GB when there are 2TB drives?  My suggestions are

a) don't put that much shit on a single drive, you are just asking for
   headaches.  Don't tell me you can't break it up, of course you can.
b) use drives.  They are the new tape.

LTO3 800GB drive: $1200 plus $30/800GB tape.
WD 1TB drives: $90.

Just the LT03 drive itself gives you 13 1TB drives.  Add one of those
USB external drive drop in connectors and use the drives just like tapes
except one hell of a lot faster, especially for restores.
--
---
Larry McVoy                lm at bitmover.com           http://www.bitkeeper.com