[TUHS] Irwin 285

Wilko Bulte wb at freebie.xs4all.nl
Fri Jan 22 06:36:55 AEST 2010

Quoting Larry McVoy, who wrote on Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 12:11:25PM -0800 ..
> On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 09:00:34PM +0100, Wilko Bulte wrote:
> > Quoting Larry McVoy, who wrote on Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 11:58:18AM -0800 ..

> > > Does anyone still use tape for personal backup?  I've long since gone to
> > > external usb drives that I shove in the gun safe (aka fire safe).
> >
> > LTO3 here :)  But the disks are getting to be too big to fit a level 0 on a
> > single tape.  I need to go and try to understand something like Amanda
> > backup s/w I think.  Suggestions welcome.
>
> Dude, 800GB when there are 2TB drives?  My suggestions are
>
> a) don't put that much shit on a single drive, you are just asking for
>    headaches.  Don't tell me you can't break it up, of course you can.

I know... I've spent years and years in storage engineering and support.
I run RAID on my drives, no worries there ;)

> b) use drives.  They are the new tape.
>
> LTO3 800GB drive: $1200 plus $30/800GB tape.
> WD 1TB drives: $90.
>
> Just the LT03 drive itself gives you 13 1TB drives.  Add one of those
> USB external drive drop in connectors and use the drives just like tapes
> except one hell of a lot faster, especially for restores.

Sure. I know.  Big SATA drives are cheap over here as well, like 1.5T for
110 EURO or somesuch. I just happen to own a LTO3 and enough tapes already, so the
economics are not the issue. Just need to have a proper piece of open source
backup software that runs on FreeBSD.

Wilko