[TUHS] 386BSD on Bochs & Qemu...

Jacob Goense dugo at xs4all.nl
Wed May 5 04:26:52 AEST 2010

On Mon, April 26, 2010 05:23 "Greg 'groggy' Lehey" <grog at lemis.com> wrote:
> OK,  I mounted the CD-ROM and looked for copyright statements.  The
> only one I found was /COPYRGHT.TXT, a modified 8 paragraph BSD license
> with \r\n line delimiters, attached.
>
> Arguably it only applies to the OS sources, but it's the only license
> I can see.

Indeed, it can be argued that the statement refers to 386BSD Release 1.0
sec, not the 386BSD Reference CD-ROM as a whole, but it is hard to draw
a line, if any.

>  It probibits commercial distributions, but the important
> clause from our point of view is:
>
>    * 5. Non-commercial distribution of the complete source and/or binary
>    *	release at no charge to the user (such as from an official Internet
>    *	archive site) is permitted.
>
> I was going to take out just the source tree, but another clause
> states:
>
>    * 7. Non-commercial and/or commercial distribution of an incomplete,
>    *	altered, or otherwise modified source and/or binary release is not
>    *	permitted.

Same issue here, would excluding eg. .book & .articles make the Release
incomplete or not?

> Since this is the only copyright statement, I assume that this means I
> can put up the entire CD image, but not just part of it, so that's
> what I've done.  It's at http://www.lemis.com/grog/src/386BSD-1.0.bz2 .

The only thing I could find that makes some sort of demarcation is the
installer, which leaves some bits behind when doing a full install.

Without vehement arguing from stakeholders or copyright lawyers to the
contrary I assume the same and thank you for putting it up there.

/Jacob