[TUHS] wrong HISTORY in 4.4BSD manual pages?

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Thu May 6 15:56:59 AEST 2010

Larry McVoy scripsit:

> 2.9BSD, as I recall, was the last release for PDP-11's.

2.9BSD was the first 2.x release to have a kernel; it contained
a backport of 4.1BSD.  Earlier 2.x releases, like 1BSD, were just
overlays on AT&T Unix.  The current PDP-11 release, however, is 2.11BSD.
It's still being worked on: 2.11.447 was released on New Year's Day, 2009.

> Again, as I recall, it did a pile of work to take advantage of the
> larger address space (I think there was 64KI and 64KD).

Correct.  That, plus a lot of in-memory overlays, was why the backport
was possible at all.

> I don't recall every seeing a 3BSD release.

3BSD was released for the VAX at the end of 1979, containing the first
Berkeley 32-bit kernel and ports of 2.xBSD userland.  It was superseded
by 4BSD (later called 4.0BSD) in October 1980.  The term 5BSD was avoided
by 4.1BSD and later releases to avoid confusion with System V.

--
On the Semantic Web, it's too hard to prove     John Cowan    cowan at ccil.org
you're not a dog.  --Bill de hOra               http://www.ccil.org/~cowan