[TUHS] pdp11 question

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at lemis.com
Sun Nov 14 17:08:30 AEST 2010

On Saturday, 13 November 2010 at 18:59:46 -0700, Warner Losh wrote:
>  On 11/13/2010 18:03, Larry McVoy wrote:
>> On Sat, Nov 13, 2010 at 02:38:29PM -1000, Tim Newsham wrote:
>>> How much does an old pdp-11 type system cost these
>>> days (ie. a pdp-11/40 with disks and terminal capable
>>> of running something like 1st, 6th or 7th ed)?
>>>
>>> How much power do they take up to power on?
>>> Whats maintenance like on those things?
>>>
>>> I've always been curious.
>>
>> Back in the day there was something called a microvax and I think there
>> was a micropdp - it was a tall slim thing.  Might google that.
>
> The MicroPDP11 was in more or less the same form factor as the
> MicroVAX I and II (also marketed as VaxStation I and II).  It was
> also known as something like the PDP 11/73.

I wasn't aware of a MicroPDP-11, but I have an LSI-11/73, photos at
http://www.lemis.com/grog/photos/Photos.php?dirdate=20001122&imagesizes=112#Photo-2
or
http://www.lemis.com/grog/photos/Photos.php?dirdate=20061027&imagesizes=13#Photo-1
Clearly it's a little larger than a MicroVAX.

If anybody's interested, this machine is up for grabs.  I don't want
any money for it, just the knowledge that it will be looked after.  It
comes with a lot of tapes and (RL-02) disks, and also lots of
documentation.  If anybody here in Australia wants it, you're welcome
to come and pick it up.

> I don't know if any of these ran Unix or not, but you might look
> into them.  A few years ago, the PROs were really cheap and used
> about the same power as a PC from 1985.

This one does.  I gather the architecture  is identical to the
PDP-11/73.  One of the tapes includes the 7th Edition.

Greg
--
Finger grog at FreeBSD.org for PGP public key.
This message is digitally signed.  See