[TUHS] pdp11 question

Wilko Bulte wkb at xs4all.nl
Fri Nov 19 07:03:53 AEST 2010

Quoting Carl Lowenstein, who wrote on Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 11:27:31AM -0800 ..
> On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 10:57 AM, Norman Wilson <norman at oclsc.org> wrote:
> > Just to loop things around a bit:
> >
> > Some of the larger VAXes used small PDP-11s (and their
> > bastard offspring) as console processors.
> >
> > This started with the very first VAX, the 11/780, which
> > used an 11/23 as a console.  The console ran a stripped-down
> > system, possibly based on RT-11 or RSX-11, I forget (and
> > am typing this on a train in the Outer Mongolia part of
> > Texas where it's hard to look up references).
>
> RT-11.  Original LSI-11 (quad card) or perhaps 11/2 (dual card).  The
> processor card that was used in a system called 11/03.

I have an 11/2 card :)  It used to control the concrete mixing silos at the
company my father used to work for.  Came with 2x RX02.  I encountered RX02
disks I could not rotate in their sleeve anymore.  Too much sand and grit :)
Just cleaned the heads and vacumed out all the cement.  Worked just fine
ever after (in fact, it also worked fine with the cement & grit & whatever
:)

Wilko