[TUHS] v6: where is "man"?

Tim Newsham newsham at lava.net
Wed Oct 20 11:16:37 AEST 2010

I'm playing with unix v6 right now.  I don't see the "man"
binary anywhere.. anyone know why?

I have v6 installed from tape. The tape has images for three
disks apparently, root, source and docs. The docs image has
a man directory with the man pages in them. I don't see a
man binary anywhere though, and I don't see the sources to
man in the sources directory either.

I checked the disk images available on the simh "kits" page.
It has man pages in /mnt/man but no sources or binary.
(by the way, this image is missing /usr/sys for some reason,
which is why I am running an installation from tape).

I also checked the
PDP-11/Trees/V6 directory on TUHS and similarly dont see
sources or binaries for man (though the man pages are present
in /usr/man).

There's even a /usr/man/man1/man.1, formatted online here:
http://wwwlehre.dhbw-stuttgart.de/~helbig/os/v6/doc/I/man.html

anyone know why the source and binary are missing from the
distributions?

Tim Newsham | www.thenewsh.com/~newsham | thenewsh.blogspot.com