[pups] PDP-11 (SIMH), Seventh Edition UNIX

Mark Tuson markfptuson at gmail.com
Sun Sep 26 02:29:01 AEST 2010

Hi everyone, this is my first message, after being on the mailing list
for the best part of three years :)

I've a couple of [hopefully] simple questions about running Seventh
Edition UNIX on SIMH.

The first question is: how can I get the C compiler to work properly?
When I've tried to compile programs, I get 'cannot create temp' - here's
a full list of what's on the screen:

@boot
New Boot, known devices are hp ht rk rl rp tm vt
: rl(0,0)rl2unix
mem = 177856
# Thu Sep 22 07:50:47 EDT 1988

login: mark
$ ed
main() {
   printf("  Hello.\n");
   return; }

.
w a.c
46
$ cc a.c
cc: cannot create temp
$

Also, how can I get the backspace key to erase? I've done /stty erase
'^H'/ but I have to actually type <CTRL>+H to erase.

The other thing I want to ask about is: can I compile SIMH on DOS, so it
doesn't display any messages except those of the simulated software, and
so it ignores ^E?

I'm asking because I want v7 on an ancient laptop I've got lying around
- a 486 with 24M of core. v7x86 won't work on it, and I don't really
fancy putting Slack 3 back on it - if I'm going to go outdated, I might
as well go the whole hog and go /really/ outdated.

Though I might consider 2.11BSD, if that'll work on a machine with 24M
of core, and if the escapes will display properly, because

[24;1H[?1h=[;H[2J
                  ~
                  ~
                  ~
                  ~
                  ~
                  ~
                  ~
                  ~
                  ~
                  ~
                  ~
                  ~
                  ~
                  ~
                  ~
                  ~
                  ~
                  ~
                  ~
                  ~
                  ~
                  ~[H

is a little bit difficult to work with when I'm wanting to edit source code.

Thanks very much. Mark Tuson.